Called to serve Him, heavenly King of glory, Chosen e'er to witness for his name, Far and wide we tell the Father's story, Far and wide his love proclaim. Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name; Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name; Forward, pressing forward, as a triumph song we sing. God our strength will be; press forward ever, Called to serve our King! Called to know the richness of his blessing— Sons and daughters, children of a King— Glad of heart, his holy name confessing, Praises unto Him we bring. Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name; Onward, ever onward, as we glory in his name; Forward, pressing forward, as a triumph song we sing. God our strength will be; press forward ever, Called to serve our King!

HTML Marquee

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mexcio so far!

Elder Holmquist has been in Mexico for almost 2 weeks!  We are getting emails from him on Mondays now, as that is is P-day.  We also have a new mailing address for him (check out the upper right hand corner of the blog for this!).  U.S. mail is much easier to use, so please feel free to send letters or cards that way!  It does take about 6 weeks to receive mail, so don't expect a speedy response :o)  A tip we received from the mission home there is to add a picture of Jesus Christ or a cross... apparently the mail is less likely to be tampered with when religious materials are on it.  

Here are a couple of excerpts from his latest email:

Well I am learning a lot and am starting to understand what people are saying better. I don't feel like my speaking ability is getting that much better but I am happy that I can at least understand a little bit of what they are saying.  one day i woke up and for some reason could just understand a lot better! it was definitely the gift of tongues. 

Our apartment is disgusting, and the bathroom smells horrible.  sometimes we have to pour water down the toilet cuz it wont fill up again... oh the mission life.... so... i really miss carpet... everything here is just concrete or dirt floors.. even in rich people's houses all they have is tile.. so our apartment is super cold, and we only have 2 little heaters that we have to turn off when cooking, but my bed is actually very comfortable, which is really nice.  I had to buy a bike this week. $500 pesos.  which is like $45 US dollars.. super cheap and its actually really nice.  this area of the Monterrey mission is super spread out and we need bikes to get around. A little about my area : Acuna.  its cold, huge, tons of people and  lots of work to do!  me and my comp. ride bikes everywhere and it takes a while to get to appointments.  oh and its not flat ground.. its hills.. EVERYWHERE my legs hurt so much but they are getting so strong and its only been 2 weeks.  and I am going to be in this area for 6 months...

Anyways, I am good here other than tired.Ii get frustrated when I cant speak but I know it will come with time. I have faith in our savior and his atonement and know he knows what I am going through.  and every time we are riding up a huge hill  and don't think I can do it anymore I think of what he did and the pain he felt for us.. I can take a little soreness to bring souls home to him.  I know this work is true, I know the savior is with me and that the gospel was restored through Joseph smith.  I love my life here.. I really have a purpose and I love you all so much. My love has grown for my family so much now that I have been away and I miss you all like crazy. please pray for my Spanish.  I love you and cant wait to talk to you at Christmas!

We are so happy for him and pray that he continues to love his mission life!  We are grateful for the opportunity he has to be in Mexico and to be serving the people there and the Lord. 

We wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
 


1 comment:

  1. My Dear Holmquist Family:
    I love all of you so much! Sam just warms my soul. I believe so strongly that his mission work is blessed.
    Merry Christmas to each of you...I am so comforted by the knowledge that Sam is away for the true meaning of Christmas.
    May the Lord bless all of us as we walk this life together. Friends forever! Connie Melvin

    ReplyDelete